Skip to main content

Scripture annotation - a useful preparation tool

One of the most useful tools I've found for helping to prep primary lessons is the scripture annotation tool on churchofjesuschrist.org. This underrated feature is fantastic! Here's what it looks like:


When you select a piece of text, you see this annotation menu appear, from which you can highlight the scriptures in different colours (I have my own fledgling colour coding system), tag it, write notes, and share it or link directly to it. More impressively is that if you have the Gospel Library mobile app, then these annotations will sync directly to it, so you can carry your fully annotated version with you. This has been handy for when I want to use my laptop for doing lesson prep, but then just take my phone or iPad with me to the lesson, and I can still call up my notes when needed.

Do others use this too, and does anyone have any "power tips"? What other tools do you find useful in your lesson prep? Feel free to let me know in the comments below or on my Twitter channel (here's the thread for this page).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brainstorming - D&C 41-44

My next lesson will be from this chapter of the Come Follow Me manual, which talks about D&C 41-44. I've read through the references and the manual chapter, and have started working up some ideas on how to teach. (If you're not familiar with how I approach planning lessons, this post provides some details .) The core of D&C 41-44 is about revelations given to Joseph Smith during his early days in Kirkland, Ohio, in February 1831. Chapter 41 is fairly short, and covers a decree regarding where Joseph will be housed. Chapter 42 is the longest. It starts by calling upon the brethren to go and teach, and also touches upon a reminder of the Commandments (twice), and what will later become the Law of Consecration , where Joseph exhorts his followers to pool their property in the name of the church in order to share more equitably amongst everyone. It also touches upon the idea of receiving personal revelation.  Chapter 43 deals with the issue of false teachings, and makes cl...

Lesson Plan - OT - Judges

 This post follows on from the previous few posts where: I reviewed the scriptures for this week's Come Follow Me Primary lesson. ( link ) I then brainstormed various science themes that could link to the scriptures. ( link ) Yesterday I worked up one of those themes into a potential lesson plan. ( link ) In this post, I'll provide a concise lesson plan for teachers to use if they find this useful. The first part of this post (in green) is an overview of the lesson aims, and the second part (in yellow) is the actual lesson plan that you can use.  Writing down the lesson plan for this weekend's Primary lesson. Photo by  Nils Stahl  on  Unsplash Overview What's the lesson about? It's about Gideon, one of the many Judges of Israel following the Prophet Joshua, struggling to have faith in Heavenly Father, and frequently doubting his veracity and asking for proof of his existence. It's also about the unorthodox way in which Gideon selected warriors for his battle aga...

Idea Workup - OT - Ruth and 1 Samuel

In my last post , I discussed some initial ideas for themes that I could use for teaching this Sunday's Primary lesson on Ruth and 1 Samuel from the Old Testament. In this post, I'll be working up these ideas to develop a draft lesson plan. The Book of Ruth is short and bitter-sweet, telling a tale of tragedy (with Naomi, Ruth and Orpah losing their husbands whilst out in Moab). Ruth takes to gleaning / foraging for scraps to sustain herself and Naomi, but ends up under the protection of Boaz, who treats her well, tries to find a suitable partner for her amongst her kinsfolk, and ends up marrying her himself. This BibleProject YouTube video summarises it well, and makes a very interesting point at the end about how Heavenly Father is hardly mentioned in this book, showing that people in the OT can be kind and generous to each other without any spiritual prompting. We could start by introducing Ruth's story, and talking through the initial events leading to Ruth gleaning on...